Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This And That

My son and his family have found a place to rent in their own neighbor. So it is a little quieter around here with three less people and two less dogs. We enjoyed having them but our last child left home 20 years ago so it was a little bit of an adjustment for everyone.


Mac (our clown)


and Annie (our sweet lady) were sad to see their playmates leave. They have been looking for them today.


After having 16 dog feet on my carpet for the last three weeks I decided it was nice that I had decided to take the plunge and pull my carpet.

I thought I probably had beautiful hardwood under the carpet because all the closets had lovely hardwood floors. But you never know what kind of wear the major floor space may have received. So I pulled the hallway first.
I prayed, took a big breathe, and pulled. The floors are beautiful. Our house is over 50 years old and the floors must have been covered all these years.
Yeah! no more muddy dog prints on he carpet.

We had our first real snow of the season yesterday. We have about 6 inches this morning.


The birds were so happy to see me put out their breakfast this morning. Now I need to go clean off my car so I can do all the errands I didn't do yesterday.





11 comments:

Lona said...

Hi Stella. You are so lucky to have had those beautiful hardwood floors beneath your carpet. I bet it look beautiful.When I was a girl hardwood floors were all the rage, then they decided carpet was and now it is wood floors again. LOL! Given time everything comes back around again.

Chatty Crone said...

You were soooooooooooooo brave to pull that carpet girl - wish I could do that and have hardwood underneath.

Love, sandie

Mimi said...

HI STELLA!!!!
OH MY GOODNESS!!!I LOVE those wood floors!!!Our house before this one, I had all the floors taken out and wood put it, but when we bought this house, the lady at the design center said, OH NO, no one does wood floors in Az any more, I was talked into ceramic or travertine tile and I hate it, LOVE those floors!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Love the birds eating, I bet they sure enjoyed that!!!!
Love your SNOW!!!
SO happy your family is got a place and so close to their old one, PRAISE GOD.
Doggies are cute!!!
Stay warm
hugs,
jamie

Sweet Old Vintage said...

So happy the floors are hardwood... You home is white like ours and we are in for the evening as events are cancelled or postponed for safety... Blessings

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

How wonderful is it that you found unused and beautiful hardwood floors!

I just love your header shot -- that adorable angel in the snow.

Martha Z said...

You do have a bit of snow, be safe when you go out to do your errands.
I long ago decided that carpets are too hard to keep clean. Now I have them only in the guest room, Hubby's den and the rarely used living room. I hope to eliminate the carpets in these rooms in the near future.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hi Stella!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello this morning..it was nice to 'meet' you. Are you ever a lucky woman to find those beautiful wood floors under the old carpet..wow those are gorgeous! I sure wish our floors had been in that good a shape when we moved into our little old farmhouse but they were about worn down to bare wood in places and the finish that was left was a yellow/orange. The wood is pecan. I'm going to have fun going through your blog and seeing previous posts. You asked what kind of stove we have...it's a Lopi also and is the Leyden model. We LOVE it and it does a great job of keeping our house warm even in these cold temperatures. I hope you have a wonderful day!
Maura :)

Cora said...

Oh my... your floors are awesome. I would never get this kind of surprise because we built our house and I know what's underneath our carpet....plywood! Lucky you!
Thanks for the visit today...and you can send us some of that snow if you like! :)
Have a great week!

Unknown said...

That would be something I'd do, & then pay the consequences for not 'peeking' first. They look gorgeous!
Lucky you.

TY for your sweet well wishes ... I'm slowly mending & unbruising.

TTFN ~
Hugs, Marydon

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Awww, your dogs are so sweet. How lucky you are that the carpet preserved that beautiful wood so well. My son, his wife, two children, and two dogs lived with us for a year, so I know what you're talkig about - it's really quiet when they leave, but really good to have your house back to yourself. laurie

Eileen said...

Thank you for paying a visit to my blog, Stella.
And lucky you with those beautiful floors under your carpet!

I can see having your family move out must feel bittersweet, in a way there is such a void left, and in another way it's nice to get things back to 'normal'. We haven't had normal in quite awhile, our daughter and grandson live with us so the abnormal has become our normal and I like it just fine.

Stay warm! Enjoy your 'new' floors!
All the best,
Eileen