Tuesday, February 7, 2012

gossip

Bet you thought I had some really juicy gossip to relay.  Nope,  just wanted to show you this cute gossip bench I finished redoing.  It was in sad shape when I found it.  Some young man had carved his name into the desk part.  Or, it could have been a young lady,  talking to the love of her life carving his name into the top as she talked to him on the phone.  Don't you just love to make up history for old furniture.




I was going to paint her a light aqua as I found some great material in aqua and chocolate brown that I fell in love with.   
After I covered the seat I could see that a dark chocolate stain would look so much better.  I tend to like lighter colors so I usually am drawn that way but I know some people like the richness of dark furniture.  And it does pop against light wall. 



I liked how the flower petals picked up the shape of the detail on the back.

I know we don't sit in one spot and talk on the phone anymore so I hope someone can see she really isn't just a telephone bench.  I thought it would look cute in a entry as a place to take off your shoes and drop the car keys.  In the bedroom as a night stand.  Plenty of room for a lamp and clock plus a place once again to take off your shoes. Or how about a laptop station.  Great storage under the desk top to keep it out of the way.  What other room can  you think of that it might work in?

10 comments:

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

What other room you asked? MY ROOM... anyone room in MY house would do just nicely..

AMAZING FIND! why cant I be that lucky!!!! WHY???

LOVE the rich color, I think you made a perfect choice of fabric.

Chatty Crone said...

Excuse me - MY BEDROOM - has those exact colors and would look great.

Great job Stella.

sandie

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

So cute. And there can be a million places, where it can be used.

Does the carved name, still show?

"Successful marriage
is leading innovative lives together,
being open, non-programed.
It's a free fall: how you handle
each new thing as it comes along."


~Joseph Campbell

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

Oh definitely, the entry bench. I need a place to take off my shoes and put my keys etc down while I do it!

You are so clever.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is cute and brings back memories. My mom had one of these and I sat in it for hours.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jean Tuthill said...

Oh, this came out so cute! I love it! I can think of a dozen places to put it in my home. haha My daughter has one of these and it really needs help. I'll have to show her what you did with yours!

nancygrayce said...

I love it! My sister has one a lot like it. I like the foyer idea, you could even put your cell phone on it when you walk in the door.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

That does bring back memories ! Great find and you are very talented doing your furniture redo , it looks fantastic !

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh! the stories that bench could tell, I am sure. Love it.
Happy Valentine's ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

donna said...

Stella, you did a fabulous job with
this bench. Wish I had just a tiny bit of your talent in the refinishing department. I'm also wondering if the carved name is still visible.

Happy Valentine's Day, Stella.

donna