Monday, January 4, 2010

Let It Snow

For the first time in many years we experienced a white Christmas here in K.C. The snow started to drift down on Christmas Eve and by the time we left church it was a scary trip home. It continued to snow all through the night and by Christmas evening we had about 10 inches of snow.




















The birds arrived early on Christmas morning looking for their breakfast. Mr. Red Cardinal keeps a lookout to make sure he doesn't miss the lady with the food.




A red-headed woodpecker waits patiently in the tree for me to fill the suet cages. Meanwhile he is busy checking for any insects that might be hiding in the bark.



Mrs. Cardinal greedily plucks the choicest morsels from her perch on the porch rail while the heated water dish steams in the background.




Come one, come all, be ye cardinal, dove, sparrow, or blue jay. Everyone is welcome here.


OK, where did everyone go? They were here just a minute ago.












All the foods gone. Who ate it all? Maybe the nice lady will bring out some more. How can I resist. Off to the store to buy more bird food.

In the front of the house the Christmas lights glow through a veil of pure white bringing a fairy like magic to the entrance.










The snow in our parking lots is piled nearly as high as an elephants eye. While the rest of the world shovels snow and hunt for food my dogs lay content in front of the warm fire.
Mac, says Mom I know you think I'm cute but you want me to hold still for another photo shoot.
While Annie just continues her nap dreaming perhaps of a squirrel to chase.
We had two mores inches of snow yesterday so we are still living in a winter wonderland. Our streets are clear and easy to drive on so the snow is a thing of beauty. I think I will make a cup of hot tea and curl up by the window to do a little bird watching and catch a few chapters of a good book.
Hope you have a good week.

10 comments:

donna said...

Oh, I luv seeing birds at the feeder after a fresh snow. Your photos are nice, enjoyed them.

Your Christmas lights glowing through the snow.....that's just plain gorgeous.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Stella, So happy to see you back! Your bird pictures are perfect. And that cardinal against the snowy background just might make me happy with the cold weather if I were there! (For a few minutes anyway.) Thanks for sharing -- for braving the winter temperatures to do so!

maría cecilia said...

Hi Stella, you are a great bird watcher and captured so beautiful pictures. We heard on the news that in many places of U.S. there was a very cold and stormy weather and I can see it was true.
Wishing you and your family a very happy and blessed 2010.
Muchos cariños,
Maria Cecilia

Anonymous said...

Love the photo of the cardinal!
We have several birdfeeders outside our dining room windows. I try to keep the feeders filled especially in the Winter.
I think curling up with a good book and a hot cup of tea is a lovely way to spend and afternoon.

Chatty Crone said...

Your pictures are just gorgeous - I mean it. I love birds. And getting them in the snow - beautiful! And the lights under the snow. You did get a lot of snow!

I love coffee and I agree moderation - I drink one cup a day.

And when it comes to blessings - there are so many if we just look.

Sandie

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Stella~ I loved this post! Last summer my hubby and I put bird feeders out...this was the first year we were intimidated with our feathered friends. We spent hours bird watching. They'd swoop in for lunch and take a drink from the fountain.
Sometimes they'd take a dip while they were at it. They really do appreciate the food, especially in the winter cold.
I hope you're keeping cozy away from the chill.
The snow is soo sparkly and beautiful.
Hope to see more of you in the new year.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

OOPS...I meant to say inundated although the extra large crows could be scary when they'd fly in in a group of 20-30 of them. When they'd sworn the fountain it looked like a scene from the Birds!

Sweet wishes,
Sara

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Stella,
Your snow pics & bird pics are just wonderful ! The pic of the christmas lights glowing through the snow is just enchanting.
I wish you a Happy & Blessed New Year !
~Myrna

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Stella; wow those are some photos.. love the snow covered lights so pretty... So many beautiful birds love the red cardinal in the white snow.... stay warm...

Hugs;
Alaura

Terry said...

You seem to have more snow than we do right now! This sure has been a crazy winter already! I’m ready for a bit of a warm up, even if it is only up to 32 degrees! LOL Love the picture of the snow covering the Christmas lights! :0)