Monday, January 9, 2012

I Bet You Thought

I bet you all thought I have been just taking it easy after all the holiday frenzy, drinking coffee and eating all the left over sugar cookies.  We had a lovely Christmas and hosted all 27 kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews for Christmas breakfast.  Hubby and I opted to spend a quiet couple of days at the lake for New Year's.  We had a steak dinner with some dear friends we have know for over 40 years.  Hubby was nodding off in the chair at 9:30 p.m. so we said our Happy New Years and went home and went to bed like the old people we are. 

I decided on Sunday I had looked at the wallpaper in the bedroom for fifteen years and it was time for a change.  I spent one full day pulling it off in small strips.  Would someone remind me why I thought wallpaper was so great.

Piece by piece is the only way.  I painted on Monday and will give you a look at some photos as soon as I put the finishing touches on the room.

And then I sanded, primed and painted this desk/vanity for my booth at As Time Goes By in Greenwood, MO.  This desk and chair was a  lucky curb find.  And  just looking at this photo reminds me that people are often so kind.  I was trying to get the desk in my PT Cruiser and was having some difficulty as it was heavy and awkward.  The gentleman of the house came out and offered to help me load it. Then he said I have the matching chair in the house if you would like it too.  They both needed repair but my handy hubby took them apart made some new pieces, glued and screwed until they were sturdy again.  I love saving pieces like this knowing now they won't just end up in the trash.

So you see I have been doing something besides eating the leftover cookies although I confess I did do some of that as well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stella! Your New Year's Eve sounds like ours! Oh, I know that was a lot of work tearing off that wallpaper. I've done that before! I know your bedroom will looks wonderful!
No, please don't cry. I have to keep my birdie for a while! ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Southhamsdarling said...

Okay, we'll let you off then, as you have been busy!! I well remember wallpaper, and what a pain it was. The house is just painted right through now. I look forward to seeing the finished result. Hubby and I did get to stay up until midnight to watch the fireworks over the London Eye and Big Ben (on television), but we just had a relaxing evening flopped in the chair. Dinner with friends sounds lovely though. Pretty little desk and chair. Wishing you and yours a very happy, healthy and peaceful new year.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

You have been a busy-bee, my Dear!

What a darling desk/vanity!!! Oh my.

And all your *omph,* to strip wallpaper and re-do! Can you please spare some extra *oooomph,* and send it over here???? I'll gladly pay the postage!!!

"The night was clear and frosty,
all ebony of shadow
and silver of snowy slope;
big stars were shining over the silent fields."

~Lucy Maud Montgomery

nancygrayce said...

We took wallpaper off of our living room walls and I wanted to just burn the place down. I can't even look at wallpaper now without feeling sick.

But that antique dresser is gorgeous!!!

Lona said...

Girl you have been tearing up good. I often think the same thing about wood paneling. It was all the rage many, many years ago but I am so sick of looking at it and what is underneath is not much better (wallpaper)LOL! It does take forever to strip it off.

donna said...

Oh, Stella....you are such an inspiration. If you're looking to take a vacation "up north" feel free to come stay with us. The only stipulation is that you must strip all the wallpaper from our kithcen/dining area and then paint the walls for us. That's not asking much, is it? LOL

Always a pleasure to visit you and your blog. Happy 2012 to you.

donna

Chatty Crone said...

So you were not eating bon bons all this time? I would say you were busy - 27 guests. Wallpaper. Refinishing - I hope you didn't ruin that wooden floor!

Love, sandie

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's going to be another beautiful corner in your beautiful home! But what a job. Someone is going to be so lucky to get that lovely set when they visit your store.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Hi Stella,
That is a lot of work removing wall paper, I need to do it in one of my bedrooms . I am sure you will make it very pretty when it's finished !
That desk and chair was a great find!
Sounds like you has a great
Christmas ! 8)